For most artistes, performance anxiety never actually goes away; it's simply dealt with. The key is you shouldn't let your stage fright control you. If you tend to freeze up on stage - and if your fear of getting too jittery on stage is keeping you from even trying to perform, then check out the following cope tatctics.
1. PREPARATION: always be prepared for your performances. Rehearse well with your band, your dancers and your back up singers.
2. MANAGE ENERGY: Learn how to control your body's response to adrenaline
3. CONFIDENCE: Learn how to build confidence in yourself and your abilities.
4. COURAGE: Learn how to perform courageously, rather than appearing timid and worrying about every little mistake.
5. CONCENTRATION: Learn how to slow down and regain control of your mind – even under pressure
6. FOCUS: Learn how to quiet the mind, focus, avoid distractions, and stay in the moment
7. RESILIENCE: Learn how to recover quickly from mistakes (so you don't make even more mistakes)
8. DETERMINATION: Learn how to keep yourself motivated and relentlessly pursue your goals
You also need to understand that, this is YOUR show, and this is YOUR stage. There are no rules. The best way to go about it is to be natural and comfortable on stage. Perform your show the way that feels right to you. Your audience will respond to your realness.
Take a look at some of the most successful artistes and examine their stage performances. You'll find some of them are really rather shy on stage, and some are in the middle. Find the style you're most comfortable with and embrace it. It will take a whole lot of pressure off you, and it will actually make your performances better.
Do everything you can to prepare for your performance, be professional about how much you drink before you hit the stage! GETTING HIGH ON DRUGS OR ALCOHOL WILL NOT HELP YOU HERE! IT WILL ACTUALLY MAKE YOU LESS FOCUSED. Remember, this is supposed to be fun, so relax, give yourself a break, go with the flow and be determined to enjoy your performance!